Friday, June 28, 2019

[Review] Lego Batman Trading Cards (2019)

So recently I decided to buy two Lego Batman magazines because they came with one minifigure each, which I did not own. One of them was a classic light blue version of Superman (because I only own the Man of Steel movie version of the character as well as a Clark Kent minifigure), and the other figure was Robin. I only own the Lego Batman Movie version of Robin, so a classic design version was once again, a figure I couldn't let go. The magazines also came with the new Lego Batman trading cards, so I was excited to see how they looked, and to my surprise, they were more than just your average trading card collectibles. These cards and characters had stats so I was eager to find out how to play the game.

Although I have not had chance to actually play the game yet, I have looked at how it is played and from what I can tell it looks similar to games like Top Trumps, except that instead of holding a hand full of cards, you place them on the game board and move them around trying your best not to allow your weaker stat to be adjacent to the other players cards. Also your cards face you, so that they are upside down from the opponents perspective, which is how you match the same stat types in order to battle (i.e. Strength vs Strength not Strength vs Speed).


So in this instance, we have Action Batgirl (I'll explain the 'action' part later in this article) vs Green Arrow and the two have met on the playing field with Speed as the stat that needs to be beaten. Action Batgirls Speed is a whopping 73 whilst Green Arrows is a mere 42, so in this battle, Action Batgirl Wins.

The four stats are Attack (Red), Defense (Green), Speed (Orange) and Power (Blue) and each character has two, three or four different card types. For instance there are 5 Batman character cards to collect which include Batman, Action Batman, Ultra Batman, Limited Edition Batman & Batman/Batzarro. This not only adds to the collection but also adds to the game because each of these cards has different alterations to their stats which mean no two Batman (or any other multiple characters) cards are the same, so whilst your opponent may play an Action Batman cards and think they have the win, you could play the Ultra Batman card and beat them for a shock twist in the end game result!

I can't wait to collect the rest of the cards and play the game. It seems like something that is quick to play and simple to pick up for family members of all ages. It's the type of card game you can play with friends, family members, or children if you're looking to get into more activities with your kids on rainy days. It's a fun little collection and I'm sure there will be plenty of different buying options on ebay for those who wish to collect box fulls instantly, or visit your local supermarkets for the card binder and starter packs so you can get the limited edition cards. The binder comes with an excluisve oversized Ultra Joker Card as well which is a fun little collectible to have.

The art on the cards is spot on for what you expect from Lego as well with the characters posing in different ways, and then of course you have the shinies to collect (also called holo foil these days) which include the Silver holo foil collectibles and the rarer Gold holo foil cards.

There are a few characters I wish were added to the collection, but maybe one day we'll see a larger collection of cards to collect that includes a wider majority of the DC Universe because there are so many great characters.

Overall this type of collecting isn't for anyone, and it's not something I do a lot myself, but since discovering it was more than just collecting then I just had to because I love Lego, I love DC and I love card games.

No comments:

Post a Comment